When you look for advertising Gurus, the first name that Google gives you is of William “Bill” Bernbach. Once upon a time, Bill worked at Grey Advertising but like many people, he too got frustrated with the mundane lifestyle of an agency set up. Instead of becoming one of the regular sufferers, Bill took action and founded one of the leading ad agencies in the world, DDB Worldwide.
Bernbach had some strong thought about advertising and today we have listed some of his popular quotes for you.
1.There are a lot of great technicians in advertising. And unfortunately, they talk the best game. They know all the rules. They can tell you that people in an ad will get you greater readership. They can tell you that a sentence should be this short or that long. They can tell you that body copy should be broken up for easier reading. They can give you fact after fact after fact. They are the scientists of advertising. But there’s one little rub. Advertising is fundamentally persuasion and persuasion happens to be not a science, but an art
2.Advertising is fundamentally persuasion and persuasion happens to be not a science, but an art.
3. In advertising not to be different is virtually suicidal.
4. The most powerful element in advertising is the truth.
5. Just because your ad looks good is no insurance that it will get looked at. How many people do you know who are impeccably groomed … but dull
6. Word of mouth is the best medium of all.
7. If you stand for something, you will always find some people for you and some against you. If you stand for nothing, you will find nobody against you, and nobody for you.
8. A great ad campaign will make a bad product fail faster. It will get more people to know it’s bad.
9. Rules are what the artist breaks; the memorable never emerged from a formula.
10. Getting your product known isn’t the answer. Getting it WANTED is the answer.
11. Nobody counts the number of ads you run; they just remember the impression you make.
12. I warn you against believing that advertising is a science.
13.An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
14. Let us prove to the world that good taste, good art, and good writing can be good selling.
15. “The truth isn’t the truth until people believe you, and they can’t believe you if they don’t know what you’re saying, and they can’t know what you’re saying if they don’t listen to you, and they won’t listen to you if you’re not interesting, and you won’t be interesting unless you say things imaginatively, originally, freshly.”