David Ogilvy is the most popular name in advertising. From newcomers to well-established men and women, everybody in the industry looks up to the legend. No wonder some of the statements made by him years ago have now turned into powerful quotes that advertisers live by. Here is a list of most popular quotes by the legend.
1. The best ideas come as jokes. Make your thinking as funny as possible.
2. Any fool can write a bad advertisement, but it takes a genius to keep his hands off a good one.
3. In the modern world of business, it is useless to be a creative, original thinker unless you can also sell what you create.
4. A good advertisement is one which sells the product without drawing attention to itself.
5. Never write an advertisement which you wouldn’t want your family to read. You wouldn’t tell lies to your own wife. Don’t tell them to mine.
6. I do not regard advertising as entertainment or an art form but as a medium of information.
7. Develop your eccentricities while you are young. That way, when you get old, people won’t think you’re going gaga.
8. What you say in advertising is more important than how you say it.
9. I don’t know the rules of grammar. If you’re trying to persuade people to do something, or buy something, it seems to me you should use their language.
10. When I write an advertisement, I don’t want you to tell me that you find it ‘creative.’ I want you to find it so interesting that you buy the product.
11. Sound an alarm! Advertising, not deals, builds brands.
12 The consumer isn’t a moron. She is your wife.